Student Conduct and Advocacy

Student Life | Leading the Experience

Student Life


UB Mediation Program

The University at Buffalo is partnering with the Center for Resolution and Justice (the "CRJ") to provide mediation services to our students, faculty, and staff. This program provides parties an avenue to resolve disputes and conflicts with the help of a neutral mediator. Upon referral, mediators from the CRJ will be available to meet with parties either on or off campus.

What is mediation?

What types of disputes are appropriate for mediation?

The following is a non-exhaustive list of examples of situations and disputes that may be appropriate for mediation:

What types of issues are addressed through mediation?

The following is a non-exhaustive list of examples of the issues (which are often the underlying source of disputes) that may be addressed through mediation:

Behavioral Issues

Property Issues

What does the mediation process involve?

The parties will meet with a neutral mediator at the Center for Resolution and Justice or somewhere on campus.

During the process time, parties have an opportunity to tell the mediator what brought them to the mediation table. The mediator will ensure that each party has the opportunity to tell his/her story completely. After both parties have had an opportunity to speak, the mediator will help the parties identify issues and separate facts from assumptions. Parties will be encouraged to talk to each other and then address the feelings, issues and concerns of the other party.

After identifying the issues, parties will engage in brainstorming. Brainstorming gives parties an opportunity to generate options for discussion that may lead to a resolution of issues that brought parties into mediation. Once parties reach common resolutions to the issues, the mediator will help them create an agreement. The agreement captures the resolution upon which the parties have agreed and acts as a contract between them.

In some instances, an agreement will not be reached after the first mediation. If this occurs, parties will have the option of meeting for another session. In the interim, parties will be asked to continue thinking about what went on during their initial mediation session to see if some kind of agreement could be reached after a period of time goes by.

Who do I contact if I am interested in participating in mediation?

If you are interested in mediating a dispute you can contact Judicial Affairs and Student Advocacy for a referral or you can contact the Center for Justice and Resolution directly:

Center for Resolution and Justice
625 Delaware Avenue, Suite 300
Buffalo, New York 14202
Phone: (716) 362-2323

Student Conduct and Advocacy | 9 Norton Hall | University at Buffalo | Buffalo, NY 14260-1605 | Tel: (716) 645-6154 | Fax: (716) 645-3376 | Director: Elizabeth Lidano | E-Mail: General