Emergency & Safety Programs at UB
These UB offices and programs listed below work together to ensure the safety of the entire campus community.
UB's Emergency WebsiteVisit UB's emergency website (emergency.buffalo.edu) ) for details about any ongoing campus emergencies, as well as public safety bulletins, and tips on emergency planning and preparedness for our students, faculty, and staff.
- Sign up to receive alerts through UB Alert : SMS text and email about university-related emergencies, including public safety situations and cancellations due to adverse weather conditions.
Campus Emergency Response
University Police are the first to respond to all medical, fire and criminal emergencies on campus. Students living off campus should call their municipal emergency authorities (Buffalo, Amherst) at 911.
Call University Police for all on-campus emergencies at 716-645-2222 or pick up any emergency blue light phone to be immediately connected to campus police.
Emergency Blue Light Phones
- Clark Gym facing softball fields
- Clark Lot East
- Clark Lot West
- Diefendorf Annex loop facing Abbott Hall
- Diefendorf Annex parking lot near Sherman/Rotary Roads
- Farber parking lot near Farber facing Bailey Avenue
- CFS BEB entrance to CFS service area
- Main Circle top of loop
- Courtyard Foster/Squire/Abbott/Harriman
- Kapoor entrance facing Peele Field
- Main-Bailey parking lot north east near Clement loop
- Main-Bailey parking lot middle near sidewalk to Goodyear
- Main-Bailey parking lot near Allen Hall
- Hayes A,B,C facing softball fields
- Hayes/Rotary Roads near Kapoor/Mackay heating plant
- Michael Hall east side on sidewalk to Goodyear
- Parker parking lot on Hayes Rd near Parker/Kapoor Hall
- Corner of Goodyear Rd-Hayes Rd and Squire loop
- Sherman parking lot facing Sherman Hall entrance
- Townsend parking lot near Main Street
- Wende Hall Hayes Road near Townsend
- Alfiero Center on Putnam
- Alumni East at bus stop
- Lake LaSalle parking lot
- Coventry loop at Alumni
- Slee lot B (south)
- Founders Plaza near O'Brian-Baldy
- Beane Center
- Bus Stop South of Bissell Hall
- Flint Loop
- CFA rear between building and lake
- Bus Stop across from Child Care
- Center for Tomorrow Lot
- Flint Road at Audubon Parkway
- Student Union facing Commons
- Clemens-Field facing Commons
- Creekside Village Near Building 1
- Creekside Village Near Building 25
- Creekside Village near bridge
- Creekside Village near bldg 7
- Crofts Hall
- Audubon at Hamilton Road
- Greiner Parking Lot
- Audubon at Lee entrance
- South of Fargo Hall at Lake Lasalle
- Flint Village rear Building 302
- Flint Village rear Building 308 & 309 on Loop
- Flint Village near bldg 306
- Special Events lot East
- Special Events west
- Fronczak on Putnam
- Governors lot C and D
- Hadley Apts at North Ent. bldg 109
- Hadley Apts at rear building 109
- Hadley Apts near bldg 103-104
- Hadley Rd. Apts at south ent. Bld 111
- Kunz Stadium
- Hochstetter at Putnam
- Park Hall on Putnam
- Park Hall between Jacobs A & B lots
- Baird lot NE corner
- Lee Bookstore lot
- Lee Entrance at Jarvis lot
- Jarvis A and B
- Hamilton loop at Ketter
- Lockwood Library on Putnam
- Putnam Way west side
- Putnum near NSC Loop
- Red Jacket lot
- Richmond B parking lot berm
- Governors E lot
- Governors bus stop
- Audubon, White Road exit
- Flickinger Court near Building 16-22
- Flicking Court near building 10-12
- Flickinger Court near bldg 2-4
- South Lake Village near bldg 204
- South Lake apts & Soccer field
- South Lake Village near Community bldg
- St. Rita's Lane at Frontier Road
- Frontier Road (near parking lot)
- Spaulding parking lot berm
- Richmond A lot
- Stadium southeast
- Wilkeson near Kanazawa Island
Campus Workplace/Resident Safety
University Police are assigned to designated areas of campus to build familiarity with the groups in those areas. UB police officers meet with campus groups such as residence hall and apartment students, faculty, and staff, to address immediate security issues or develop strategies to maintain a safe campus environment.
UBís EHS department will conduct safety inspections, hazard assessments, training and educational programs to ensure resident and worker safety at UB.
- Biosafety. Ensuring safe conduct of biological and biomedical research at UB. To safely use biological material, all researchers must register and receive written approval from the appropriate University oversight committee.
- Chemical Safety. Chemical Hygiene Plan is managed by Environment, Health & Safety, including inspection of fume hoods. EHS will pick up and dispose of campus-generated chemical waste in the most economical and environmental sound manner possible, consistent with current regulatory guidelines.
- Fire Safety/Prevention. EHS can help UB departments with building emergency plans, will train staff on the use of fire extinguishers, and provide guidance in all areas of fire and life safety.
- Radiation Safety. Campus-wide radiation protection program to ensure safe use of radioactive materials and radiation producing equipment at the University at Buffalo.
Safety in Residence Halls & Apartments
UBís emergency plans and procedures are fully at work in Campus Living (Campus Living). The staffs of Campus Living, along with University Police, University Facilities (EHS) and many other UB offices, have been trained and continually test emergency processes.
UB offers safety tips for virtually every member of our campus community, here: Bicycling, Personal safety, Living off campus, Preventing Sexual Assault, Dealing with Sexual Assault, Living and Working Safely at UB, Dormitory Fire Safety, and more.
Getting Around Campus
Sub-Board I Health Education, a student-run organization, offers campus safety escorts through its SBI Safety Services. Walking services are available to men or women to or from any campus location. The Safety Shuttle, available on South Campus only, picks up passengers in 20-minute intervals and will transport within a 1.5 mile radius of South Campus as well as Campus Manor and Kensington Village.
- Walking Escorts/ Walk Stations (SBI Safety Services)
North Campus (716) 208-5581, Undergraduate Library (Capen Hall)
South Campus: (716) 491-4198, Health Sciences Library (Abbott Hall)
- Safety Van/Shuttle (SBI Safety Services)
South Campus only: Goodyear, Main Loop, Health Sciences Library
For Off Campus pick-up, call 716-829-2584 before 2 pm weekdays
The UB Stampede (intercampus bus) and UB shuttles run on both campuses year-round. During the academic year, most buses and shuttles run every 5-10 minutes, from 7 am to 1 am.
UB-Alert 1620 AM broadcasts up to the minute messages regarding campus parking, transportation, special events and emergency situations 24 hours a day. Messages can be heard in a five-mile radius of both campuses.
Buffalo Transportation Inc. is the University's Campus Cash partner. Buffalo Transportation accepts cash or Campus Cash and will take you any place in the metro area including the airport and bus station.
Each fall and winter, UB asks all students with mobility impairments who are registered with Accessibility Resources to report their snow-related obstacles on either UB campus. UB will rectify problems as soon as possible. Students may report by calling 645-2608 or by email.
Biking is the transportation alternative that infuses fun and healthy energy into getting to your destination. UB has bike racks for more than 300 bicycles on its campuses. In addition, there are seven Buffalo Blue Bicycle hubs on campus. Register your bike today, for free.
Men preventing violence against women.
Night Host & Door Locking
University Police conduct Night Host and Door Locking programs in the residence halls, apartments and the Medical School.
Available to all students, faculty and staff through University Police. Protect valuables with a permanent ID number that is accessible by police departments nationwide.
Personal Safety Workshops
Self-Defense, Sexual Assault, Violence Prevention and numerous crime prevention programs are offered by University Police. To schedule a safety workshop or to request safety materials, please contact the Community Liaison Lieutenant at 645-2227.
Each year, a contingent of UB student volunteers distribute printed doorhangers to homes in University Heights to promote safety in the neighborhood around UB's South Campus
Sub-board Iís Legal Assistance and Off-campus housing offices are student-run organizations providing free services to UB students
Bike Path Campus Watch Volunteer Program
Student volunteers are trained to conduct safety patrols of the Amherst Bike Path, to provide walking escorts and report unusual activity.
Annual Safety Events
Check the Calendar of UB Events for specific dates and times.
This UB tradition, a 5K race to promote personal safety habits, is open to the entire Western New York community.
Living Off Campus Fair
Preparing UB students for off-campus responsibilities
Information and demonstrations, including the popular Bedroom Burn, to raise awareness.
Sexual assault remains the most underreported crime in the country. This event inspires survivors to step forward.
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
Annual Men's march to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence
Domestic/Intimate Partner Violence Awareness Month
- Women's Safety and Sexual Assault Prevention
- Walk With Me
- When Love Hurts: Dating Violence on Campus
- If He or She Is Raped: Providing Support to Survivors
- Suicide Prevention Week
- Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Survive Going Home for Breaks: Negotiating Changes in Family Roles
- National Depression Screening Day
- Mirror of Myself Art Event
- Every Body Is Beautiful: Eating Concerns and Body Image
- Anxiety Screening Day
- Are You Stressed Out?
- Coping with Test Anxiety
- Stress & Sleep